University Assessment Committee
August 29, 2013
Due December 7, 2013
August 31, 2012
Due May 20, 2013 Self-Studies including Assessment Report in Weave
According to the 2012-2013 GVSU Faculty Handbook:
h. UAC Committee Membership
i. Faculty Membership: Faculty membership of the UAC consists of seven faculty members from CLAS, two from Seidman College of Business, one from each of the remaining colleges, one from the university libraries. Service unit membership of the UAC consists of two representatives from the Advising Resource/Advising Council, one from Student Services and one from Academic Services/Information Technology, appointed by the Provost with recommendation from vice presidents responsible for the preceding groups.
Academic and service unit representatives serve three-year staggered terms beginning at the end of the winter semester.
ii. Student Membership: One student representative selected by the Student Senate will serve for a term of one year.
iii. Adminstration Membership: The Director of the Pew Faculty Teaching and Learning Center ex officio, non-voting and the Provost or designee ex officio, non-voting.
UAC Committee Meetings
Generally, the UAC meets every other Monday, from 3-5pm as an entire committee. Alternate Mondays are typically used by subcommittees to meet and review documents. Fall meetings are held in Allendale. Winter term meetings take place on the Pew campus.
The 2011-2012 Faculty Handbook reads as follows: The UAC's primary responsibility is to oversee and support the process of assessing units (including assessing student learning outcomes). It does so by reviewing assessment plans, progress reports, and self-studies for all academic majors, academic units, and service units.
2012-2013 Committee Charge
- Continue to provide leadership and support to university constituents as they implement the six year self-study plans and three year learning outcome reports provided for in the University Assessment Philosophy and Policies endorsed by UAS on April 22, 2005.
- Continue to monitor the Faculty Handbook language on assessment and propose any necessary language revisions that will clearly separate assessment philosophy, policy and procedure from each other as well as making a recommendation as to whether any of the procedural language should be removed from the Faculty Handbook.
- Please implement a web-based system for assessment review which is capable of sending out reminders to relevant parties at 1-year, 6-month and 3-month time frames.
- Provide language for Faculty Handbook update on the committee membership due to the restructuring of the Pew FTLC as part of the Provost’s Office as well as the need to more accurately describe service unit representation on the UAC.
- Continue to work with General Education and academic units to explore/develop meaningful ways to enhance assessment policies and procedures, as a service to the university.
For additional information about the University Assessment Committee policies and/or procedures, please contact Shari Bartz-Smith, UAC chair, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For policies and procedures associated with self study reports and assessment, please see "UAC Philosophy & Policies."
Page last modified September 13, 2012