Risk Management

Automobile coverage


University Vehicles: All University vehicles are insured for vehicle liability (including the 
statutory Michigan no fault coverage) while being driven anywhere in the U.S. or Canada.  
Coverage is extended to anyone driving these vehicles with University permission.
Personal Vehicles: Employee personal vehicles are insured for vehicle liability while being 
driven on University business.  This coverage is secondary to employee’s personal automobile 
insurance and is subject to specific deductibles.
Rental Vehicles: Rental vehicles are covered under the University’s automobile collision and 
liability policies.  All terms and conditions of the vehicle rental agreement should be read and 
followed, particularly concerning authorized drivers.  Violations of the agreement or driving 
regulations may render the University responsible for any damages.  Use the following 
guidelines for insurance coverage when renting vehicles. Questions concerning insurance 
coverage should be directed to Risk Management at 616-331-2067. 
a. Decline the collision damage waiver insurance.  The University provides coverage that 
eliminates liability for replacement at full retail value due to collision damage. 
b. Decline the personal accident insurance if rental was booked by the University’s travel 
agency and/or paying with the Fifth Third Visa offered through GVSU.  Travel agency 
and corporate charge card program contracts automatically provide accident/medical 
and death benefits under personal insurance coverage. 
c. Decline the personal effects insurance for University property.  The University is insured for property in the vehicle.  Personal property may be covered under your personal insurance; confirm with your insurance  agent.  Accepting the coverage for personal property is at your expense.  
d. When vehicles are rented for University business travel, all rental contracts should be 
issued in the University’s name to avoid confusion concerning vehicle liability insurance.

The insurance policy does NOT provide coverage for:

  1. the loss of personal property (luggage, clothing, etc.)
  2. bodily injury occurring to a University employee (bodily injury is covered by Workers Compensation)
  3. guest passengers, including spouse
  4. unauthorized drivers
  5. privately-owned vehicles on official University business

Automobile Physical Damage (Collision) Insurance

Insures against damage to University-owned, leased or rented vehicles. Coverage is provided for perils such as collision, vandalism, fire, windstorm, flood and theft.

Claims Information (Click Here)

Page last modified October 22, 2012