Grand Valley State University Women's Center
Food Resources for GVSU Students in Kent and Ottawa Counties
While the GVSU Student Food Pantry strives to supply students with an emergency supply of food, there are community resources available that will help supplement the items received at the Student Food Pantry. Here are a few options relevant to the GVSU student community:
- 211 of Ottawa or Kent County: 211 is a free information and referral service that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 211 can be dialed directly from any landline. Cell phone users seeking services in Kent County should call 1-800-887-1107. Cell phone users seeking services in Ottawa County should call 877-211-5253. Once connected to an operator, you can ask about food resources in the respective county. You can also find out the schedule of mobile food pantries in the area.
- Eastern Avenue Reformed Church: EARC distributes food at 7:00am on Saturday mornings. Bags of food cost between $2 and $5 dollars. EARC can be reached at 616-454-4888.
- Booth Family Services: Booth Family Services is open every day between 1:30 and 3:15pm. If you are not a Kent County resident, you may receive food only once. BFS provides a 2-3 day supply of emergency food. The phone number for BFS is 616-459-2255 and you can access their website by clicking here.
- Love, INC.: Love, INC is located in Allendale and can be reached at 616-895-5683. If you wish to receive assistance, you must meet once with a counselor from the organization. To visit Love, INC's website, please click here.
- Department of Human Services: You may qualify to receive assistance through the Food Assistance Program. For more information on eligibility requirements and the application process, please click here.
- YMCA Veggie Van. This mobile farmers market runs year round, making stops in various Grand Rapids and Muskegon neighborhoods. The veggie van exists to assure that fruits and vegetables are available to people who otherwise have limited access to fresh produce.
Download a list of additional local Food Pantries.
If you are aware of other food resources in the community that would be helpful to GVSU students, please email the Women's Center at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, if you utilize any of the listed resources, we would love to hear your feedback. Please e-mail the Women's Center or call us at 616.331.2748.
Page last modified July 25, 2014