Department of Writing
Director, Fred Meijer Center for Writing & Michigan Authors
- Ph.D., University of Louisville
- M.A., Florida State University
- B.A., Birmingham-Southern College
I teach courses in academic and professional writing, such as Consulting with Writers, Introduction to Professional Writing, Introduction to Style, and Genre & Writing.
My research and writing projects are informed by my classroom teaching and work in the writing center--and, I hope, help me to become a more knowledgeable and effective teacher. Recent projects have focused mainly on writing assessment, writing program administration, and writing center programming.
In addition to the teaching, scholarship, and service I complete at Grand Valley, I enjoy serving as a manuscript reviewer for Composition Studies, WPA: Writing Program Administration, and The Journal of Writing Assessment.
- Building Meaningful Writing Center Assessments. With William J. Macauley. In press at Utah State University Press.
- "Retreating Into the Center: Supporting Faculty & Staff as Writers." Writing Lab Newsletter 34.6 (February 2010): 1-6.
- "A Working Methodology of Assessment for Writing Program Administrators." With Brian Huot. Allyn and Bacon Sourcebook for Writing Program Directors. Irene Ward & William Carpenter, Editors. Needham Heights, MA: Allyn & Bacon, 2011. 207-227. [Reprinted in Longman Sourcebook for Writing Program Administrators. Longman, 2008.]
- "Defining Assessment as Research: Moving from Obligations to Opportunities." With Peggy O'Neill & Brian Huot. WPA: Writing Program Administration 26.1/2 (2002): 10-26.
- "(Re)Conceiving of the Writing Center as a Site of Transfer." Conference on College Composition and Communication. St. Louis, March 22, 2012.
- "Making Noise in the Library: Designing a Student Learning Environment to Support a Liberal Education." With Lee A. VanOrsdel. Special Session at the Southeast Writing Center Association Conference, Eastern Kentucky University, February 17, 2012.
- "It's Like a Consultation: Writing Center Assessment as Reflection and Revision." Keynote Address with William J. Macauley. East Central Writing Centers Association Conference, Western Michigan University, March 4, 2011.
- "Speaking isn't Writing: An Assessment of Professional Writing Students' Presentations." With Christopher Toth. Association for Business Communication Conference, Chicago, October 26, 2010.
- Council of Writing Program Administrators
- Conference on College Composition & Communication
- National Council of Teachers of English
- East Central Writing Centers Association
- Michigan Writing Centers Association
International Writing Centers Association
Page last modified February 14, 2012