Cell and Molecular Biology
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
Cell and molecular biology (CMB) is for students with a passion for the life sciences who want to receive research experience, and who want to prepare for employment in their field or for graduate/professional training. It is focused on determining how cells develop and function and the significance of those functions in the living organism. CMB is the basis for such applied fields as biotechnology, pharmacology, and biomedicine.
- The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) prepares students for employment or graduate training in biology, biotechnology, computational biology, and biomedical research.
- The Master of Science (M.S.) offers a choice between a Professional Science Masters (PSM) in biotechnology and a traditional thesis-based masters.
- The combined degree program (B.S./M.S.) offers qualified undergraduates the option to earn a B.S. and an M.S. in an accelerated time frame. Students admitted to this program may take graduate courses after completing 90 undergraduate credits, and up to 12 credits of graduate work may be used in partial satisfaction of the requirements for the undergraduate degree.
Students study a variety of topics, including:
- Cell and molecular biology
CMB prepares students for careers in:
- Higher education
- Intellectual property
- Life science research
Why Study Cell and Molecular Biology at Grand Valley?
- Located within a region quickly developing into an important center for biotechnology research, industry, and education.
- Students may take advantage of our location as well as our institutional and personal ties to area research labs while they fulfill the research component of their degree.
- Rewarding internships are available at the Van Andel Research Institute, Alticor, Walter's Greenhouses, area hospitals, biotech start-ups, and other area organizations.
- Faculty members are actively engaged in research, much of it carried out with students.
- Laboratories are state-of-the-art and well-equipped for research.
- The interdisciplinary core program of the PSM enables students to develop to a higher and more broadly focused level than would be possible within a single major.
- The PSM program provides students with a practical and applied curriculum closely tied to the scientific workforce needs of business and industry and includes internship experience.
For More Information
Cell and Molecular Biology
“During my freshman and sophomore years, the faculty members were especially supportive. They helped guide me through, especially in picking and scheduling classes.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University