- Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
The biomedical sciences major in the Department of Biomedical Sciences at Grand Valley is designed for preprofessional students who are interested in medical, dental, pharmacy, or Ph.D. granting graduate programs.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
Students who choose to major in biomedical sciences may select, in addition to the general biomedical sciences curriculum, emphases in:
The biomedical sciences program consists of courses that professional schools prescribe as essential to the successful completion of a professional school curriculum, plus electives necessary to provide educational breadth and maturity. Students study a variety of topics, including:
- Human anatomy
- Human physiology
Graduates can obtain employment in a variety of areas such as:
- Research laboratories in academia, industry, or government
- Regulatory branches of the government
- Pharmaceutical sales
Why Study Biomedical Sciences at Grand Valley?
- The biomedical sciences major is flexible enough to accommodate additional specific requirements of most professional schools.
- Faculty in the Department of Biomedical Sciences are involved in a wide variety of research projects providing many opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students to gain valuable hands-on experience. Areas of research include infectious disease epidemiology, prostate cancer biology, Salmonella genetics, immunology, neurology, obesity biochemistry, cardiovascular disease, and stem cell biology to name a few.
- Grand Valley recognizes that many of our graduate students will wish to pursue a master's degree in biomedical sciences while continuing employment. Therefore, many of the courses are offered in the late afternoon or early evening.
For More Information
Biomedical Sciences Department
“I encourage students to think about different aspects of the subjects in new ways all of the time. I try to get them to think about real life situations and try to explain them using information we talk about in class or pull from a textbook.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University