- Master of Public Administration (M.P.A.)
The mission of the Master in Public Administration (M.P.A.) is to develop both the general knowledge and specific abilities needed for professional careers in public service organizations. The curriculum is designed to prepare students to act ethically and effectively in public management, urban and regional policy and planning, nonprofit management, criminal justice, and healthcare administration.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
The M.P.A. program offers the following concentrations:
- Public management
- Urban and regional policy and planning
- Health administration
- Nonprofit management and leadership
- Criminal justice
Students study a variety of topics, including:
- Public budgeting
- Metropolitan politics and administration
- Public policy analysis
- Philanthropy and the nonprofit sector
- Economic and community development
- Nonprofit financial management
- U.S. health administration
Career opportunities include positions as:
- City managers
- Community developers
- Department heads
- Financial managers
- Foreign service officers
- Program or agency directors
Why Study Public Administration at Grand Valley?
- As a professional school in an urban setting, Grand Valley is actively involved with the community in professional service activities and applied research.
- Students receive personal attention by faculty in all courses in our student-oriented, teaching-focused program.
- The program meets the diverse educational needs of part-time and full-time students with a flexible, innovative curriculum design that includes evening and weekend courses, workshops, and Web-enhanced learning.
- Students have opportunities to collaborate with faculty on ongoing research projects and other students will find or create research opportunities independently.
For More Information
School of Public, Nonprofit, and Health Administration
M.P.A. Program Coordinator, Richard Jelier: firstname.lastname@example.org
“The M.P.A. program was the ideal preparation for my work with the city of Grand Rapids Executive Office. The city's professional environment is competitive and requires constant process and skill improvement. The M.P.A. program gave me the critical analysis skills needed to improve my project management capacity. Grand Valley's M.P.A. helps bridge the gap between the theory of graduate studies and the application to the local government.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University