- Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
Information systems majors study the use of computers in organizing and processing information to provide business solutions. Computing programs prepare IT professionals for a rewarding career that is in high-demand.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
The mission of the School of Computing and Information Systems (CIS) is to provide students with the intellectual foundations and experiences necessary to use information technology effectively in their chosen careers. Cognate courses emphasize communication skills and business fundamentals, including all courses required for a minor in general business.
Students study a variety of topics, including:
- Application programming
- Database systems
- Distributed computing
- IT project management
- Systems analysis
The U.S. Department of Labor projects six of the fastest growing occupations for 2004-2014 are in computing:
- Database administrator
- Network administrator
- Network systems analyst
- Software engineer
- Systems software developer
- Systems analyst
Why Study Information Systems at Grand Valley?
The information systems program is unique in several ways:
- Flexibility. By choosing electives and minors in related subject areas, students can further tailor their degrees to fit their individual needs and career goals.
- Theoretical foundation and practical experience offer excellent preparation for the job market and valuable industry experience.
- Small class sizes of approximately 30 students.
- Qualified faculty. Most faculty members hold doctoral degrees and have a wide breadth of experience in the industry.
- Competent advisors are available to all students.
- The School of CIS has its own dedicated state of the art computer labs for hands-on equipment. A premier data communications lab and computer architecture lab are also available.
For More Information
School of Computing and Information Systems
“I like the School of CIS at Grand Valley because of how the classes are small in size and make for a more personal learning environment.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University