Allied Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
Allied Health Sciences (AHS) is intended to meet the educational needs of the aspiring health care professional.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
AHS can be tailored to meet the health professions goals of students with specific academic emphases:
- Pre-health professional emphases for students desiring to apply for a graduate degree in physical therapy, physician's assistant studies, occupational therapy, or speech-language pathology
- Entry level baccalaureate emphases in American Sign Language, general allied health sciences, histotechnology, and respiratory care
Those declaring an AHS major must choose one of the above emphases and follow the curriculum guidelines for that emphasis. In addition, every student must complete:
- Medical Terminology
- Intro to Health Professions
- Health Care Management
- Intro to Health Care Research
- Ethics and Legal Responsibilities
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) states that ten of the 20 fastest growing occupations are healthcare related. They also predict 3.2 million new wage and salary healthcare jobs between 2008 and 2018.
Why Study Allied Health Sciences at Grand Valley?
- Located near the state-of-the-art Cook DeVos Center for Health Sciences (CHS) within close proximity of five hospitals, the Medical Education and Research Center, and many research, clinical, and treatment facilities.
- With its strong relationships with the region's medical community, the program is able to provide students with the opportunity for high-quality clinical experiences which are an important part of the student's learning experience.
- Courses are taught by tenure track or adjunct faculty members who meet the highest levels of professional standards; the program does not use graduate assistants to teach courses.
- The College of Health Professions maintains a dedicated staff of academic advisors in its Student Services Office to meet the academic advising needs of its students.
For More Information
College of Health Professions
Department of Allied Health Sciences
“As a program we spend a great deal of time advising our students so they can have an education that best prepares them for a future in health care. Our students secure positions with professional organizations both in West Michigan and nationwide.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University