- Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
The integrated science program offers a major with teacher certification at the elementary/middle school level and an endorsement at the secondary level.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
The integrated science major (ISCI) is designed for students seeking certification to teach at the elementary and/or middle school levels. It provides the student with broad exposure in all the sciences and emphasizes the connections among the scientific disciplines, their relationship with technology, and their relevance to society. In order to be certified, students must:
- Complete this major with a 2.7 GPA
- Pass the subject area Michigan Test for Teacher Certification
- Complete the College of Education professional program
- Complete the elementary teaching minor
Students study a variety of topics, including:
- Integrated science
Graduates are prepared to teach elementary and middle school science. Our students are employed across the state and the nation.
Visit www.gvsu.edu/isci for more information.
Why Study Integrated Science at Grand Valley?
- Courses designed specifically for the major and taught using best practices identified by the research literature.
- Limited class sizes to maximize interactions between the faculty and students as well as among the students.
- Our students are very successful in passing the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification on their first attempt.
- Opportunities to be extensively engaged in scholarship and professional growth (see the ISCI website for a list of student publications and presentations).
- Opportunities to be involved in professional organizations (Michigan Science Teachers Association, National Science Teachers Association).
- Integrated science majors are also active in the community and are involved in service learning in area schools.
For More Information
Integrated Science Program
“I learned a large number of hands-on, effective teaching strategies that I use in my current position as a 21st Century Site Coordinator at Hesperia Middle School. You also have the opportunity to work closely with faculty, developing and presenting science lessons, and even getting published!”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University