Declaration Page (opens in new window)
The Distinguished Early-Career Scholar Award honors remarkable investigators at Grand Valley State University who began their independent scholarship within the past six years. These scholars demonstrate mastery in their field and show significant potential for continued success. The award recipients have made major contributions to theory, research and creative practice, and they have earned national recognition for their outstanding achievements. In addition to the honor of being designated a CSCE Distinguished Early- Career Scholar, recipients of the Award are given an award of $500. Nominations for the Award are solicited from deans, department chairs, and faculty colleagues.
All tenured and tenure-track faculty members who began their independent scholarship within the past six years.
Nominators: Each College sets its own internal deadline for the initial review. The CSCE is not involved in this part of the process. Contact your dean's office to inquire about internal deadlines for nominations and materials to be submitted to the college dean's office for review.
Dean's Office: The candidate's dean's office must submit the original and an electronic copy (PDF) of this form and all supporting materials to the CSCE office by November 1.
Procedures for Administering the CSCE Distinguished Early Career Scholar Award
Each college may nominate a faculty member for one of the four University-wide awards. Recipients will be recognized as distinguished scholars. The award selection procedure is as follows:
1. The Faculty Award Committee for each college will select one faculty member (except CLAS, which selects up to seven, and Seidman College of Business, which selects up to two) to be considered for the award. Committee members will be selected by the dean. Committee membership will be a minimum of three faculty:
2. Nominations for the award may come from a college dean, department chair, and faculty colleagues. Self-nominations are not accepted.
3. All full-time faculty members who have been employed at GVSU a minimum of 1 year and a maximum of 6 years are eligible.
4. Up to four awards will be made each year. Each recipient will receive $500.
5. An individual faculty member may not receive the award more than once.
6. Recipients are selected by the Research and Development Committee.
The CSCE will forward the names of recipients to the provost and relevant dean by December 15. The dean will inform the recipient of his or her selection. The CSCE will inform nominees who are not selected.
- Potential to develop a national reputation
- Major contributions to theory, research, and/or creative practice
- Highest standards of professionalism
- Completed Declaration Page (form can be found here)
- A statement from the nominee, one or two pages in length, of that person's professional accomplishments deemed most significant
- Two letters of support from faculty colleagues who have knowledge of the nominee's ability as a scholar and who are not committee members. The letters should address the criteria for the award.
- Curriculum Vitae
*Please note: ONLY the above stated documents will be accepted in a completed nomination packet. No additional documents will be accepted.
Download previous awardees here.
Page last modified September 10, 2014