Advertising and Public Relations
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science (B.A., B.S.)
The advertising and public relations major at Grand Valley State University stresses an integrated approach. Students may choose to emphasize advertising or public relations, but they take courses in both to prepare them for common practice in the field.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
Students choose between a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in communications with an emphasis in:
- Advertising or
- Public relations
Students study a variety of topics within the major, including:
- Corporate communications
- Media relations and planning
- News reporting
Graduates from the integrated advertising and public relations major have a wide variety of opportunities for employment in different fields. They have had success working locally and nationally within:
- Advertising and public relations agencies
- Educational institutions
- Government agencies
- Nonprofit organizations
- Sports teams
- The travel industry
Why Study Advertising And Public Relations at Grand Valley?
- Faculty members have a combination of academic accomplishment and professional experience and represent a variety of backgrounds in the field. Full-time faculty are complemented by accomplished professionals from the area who teach as adjunct instructors.
- Students have opportunities to be involved with the Student Ad Club and the Grand Valley chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA). Both are affiliated with local and national professional groups.
- Students get hands-on experience by having real clients in numerous classes, internships, special events, and through GrandPR (a student-run PR firm).
- The curriculum includes courses that match what is recommended by national panels of advertising and public relations educators and professionals.
For More Information
School of Communications
“It's a joy to work with students at Grand Valley. When they first come into the program they seem tentative and quiet and we have to urge them on. By their senior year they are so engaged and excited about learning and the experiences they're having, that faculty have to work hard to keep up with them.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University