Latin American Studies
Knowledge of Latin America and its people, including those in the U.S., is an essential part of a liberal education today. Latinos now constitute the most populous ethnic group in the country. U.S. economic, political, and cultural relations with our Latin American neighbors − from Mexico and the Caribbean to Central and South America − continue to grow in importance.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
The Latin American studies (LAS) minor is for the student who wishes to learn more about the fascinating history and diverse cultures of Latin America. The minor complements most majors and professional programs, making a variety of career opportunities available.
Minors can participate in a number of study abroad programs. Visit www.gvsu.edu/pic for more details.
Students study a variety of subjects, including:
- Exploring Latin America
- Culture: music, dance, art, food, sports, literature
- Commerce and society
- History and politics
- Migration in the Americas
- Latino/a society
The program can benefit students considering a variety of careers, including:
- Health sciences
- International business
- International relations
- Government organizations
Why Study Latin American Studies at Grand Valley?
- Prepares students for an increasingly diverse world of peoples, cultures, religions, and economies.
- Is a gateway to gaining communicative and intercultural skills in a global economy.
- Offers opportunities for study abroad and rich cultural enrichment.
- Provides Grand Valley students and faculty with study abroad opportunities and opens the door to an exchange with Latin American students and faculty.
- Encourages student participation in Latin American and international student organizations on campus, and via internships in the West Michigan Latino community.
- Purely and simply, makes you a well-rounded person!
For More Information
Latin American Studies
“The Latin American studies minor blended with my interests and the courses covered a variety of topics. The minor worked well with my study abroad program and I feel it really contributed to my understanding of the history and cultures of Latin America and Latinos in the United States.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University