Speech-language pathologists are professionals educated to assess speech and language development, and treat speech and language disorders. Additionally, speech-language pathologists help people with swallowing disorders.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
The speech-language pathology graduate program, within the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, is a four-semester program for students who have completed the preprofessional requirements and a bachelor’s degree. Graduates of Grand Valley will be entry level Clinical Fellows.
A variety of topics will be studied, including:
- Voice and resonance
- Receptive and expressive language
- Cognitive and social aspects of communication
- Diverse clinical practicum
Speech-language pathologists are employed in a variety of settings, including:
- School systems
- Community clinics and private practices
- Mental health, rehabilitation, and residential facilities
- Government agencies and health departments
- Early intervention
- Hospitals, nursing centers, and home care
- Academic and research laboratories
Why Study Speech-Language Pathology at Grand Valley?
- Grand Valley is known for health sciences and is one of only two universities in Michigan offering all therapy programs.
- Located in the Medical Mile in downtown Grand Rapids at the Cook-DeVos Center for Health Sciences, SLP offers unique experiences, resources, and research opportunities.
- The program was awarded candidacy accreditation status from the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) of the American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA).
- Two cohorts a year offering small, intimate classes.
- Community-based practicum placements.
- Excellent job opportunities.
For More Information
Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders
Speech-Language Pathology Program
“The SLP program allows students to find their passion through experiential learning that also benefits the community. Through the steadfast support of faculty and professionals in the community, students are encouraged to use their creativity while maintaining an evidence-based focus to practice.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University