Startup co-founded by graduate developing device to test water for contaminants

July 16, 2024 (Volume 47, Number 20)
Article by Michele Coffill

five people on stage, two men in white golf shirts holding glass trophies

Joshua Francis '13, second from right, stands next to Wave Lumina co-founder Vernon LaLone at the AquaHacking Challenge in Traverse City. Francis's startup company is developing portable field sensor technology to test water samples for PFAS and other contaminants. 

Long before most people became very familiar with Zoom and other virtual meeting platforms, Grand Valley graduate Joshua Francis developed a successful online education company that offered training and licensure prep for industries from construction to agriculture.

Francis '13, who lives in Traverse City, sold that company to Certus in 2021 and has found another entrepreneurial venture. Francis is a co-founder of Wave Lumina, a company developing portable field sensor technology to test water samples for PFAS and other contaminants. 

Wave Lumina earned second place at the AquaHacking Challenge, a pitch competition that concluded an AquaAction business incubator course for startups and entrepreneurs with technology focused on freshwater solutions.

Francis said it's now an expensive and lengthy process for municipalities and companies to test water samples for contaminants. Wave Lumina’s device would lower costs and provide immediate results, something Francis said is not widely available for PFAS contamination.

"The initial market would be environmental consultants, engineers and municipalities," he said.

Francis, who earned a bachelor's degree in business, said the device should receive a utility patent in January before moving into its pilot phase of development. Early Partners for Wave Lumina will include WSP, an environmental consulting company; Michigan Department of Environmental, Great Lakes and Energy; and Northwestern Michigan College.

Last year, Vernon LaLone, Francis's cousin, discussed the idea of developing a water-testing device with Francis; LaLone had to decide whether to leave his salaried position to establish a startup. LaLone is now a co-founder, creating a company and partnering with Francis and co-founder Nate Peck to launch Wave Lumina.

"I told Vernon it's a life risk not to do it. You're taking a risk as an employee because it's a lost opportunity," Francis said.

Francis understands risk. He once took a year off from his studies at Grand Valley to build a video studio in his garage to begin filming online video courses, growing a family-owned training company into an online leader.

"My mom saw what the advent of online education could be and told me to get working on it, using it as a case study while in school," he said.

The first program Francis developed was a 60-hour course for contractors to obtain a license. Soon, programs for real estate agents and architects followed. Then, Mississippi State University called, wanting a program for agricultural workers.

Born into a family of entrepreneurs, Francis said his education at Northwestern Michigan College and Grand Valley has provided life lessons and connections that have greatly contributed to his success.

"At Grand Valley, our professors told us to develop an idea notebook and to create a process for ideas. Then talk and analyze your ideas with others. You also need to understand and accept risk," he said. "These are lessons I used when I established companies and skills I use every day, over and over."

Categories

Across Campus

This article was last edited on July 12, 2024 at 1:6 p.m.

Related Articles

Departments team to host children of African immigrants at weeklong camp

Campers toured and participated in activities at the Sustainable Agricultural Project, Laker Esports Center, biology labs, Mary Idema Pew Library and AWRI.

Featured

Article by Thomas Garrett

'Financial aid stewards' help combat any FAFSA barriers

Grand Valley applied for a grant from the Michigan College Access Network to aid with FAFSA completions.

Article by Michele Coffill

Program takes unique approach to STEM training for educators, students

Educators will use the curriculum learned in the mornings to work with the camp's students in the afternoons.

Article by Peg West