Oliver Wilson Scholars get head start on their first year as Lakers

August 20, 2024 (Volume 47, Number 21)

two people sit across a table with a laptop in front of the man on right; other students seated at long tables in the room

Student success coach Adrian Hall, right, chats with a student during a study table session for the Oliver Wilson Scholars.

Photo Credit: Cory Morse

Incoming first-year student Nevaeh Tomala called herself an introvert yet said she enjoyed spending most of the summer with peers in a summer bridge program.

Tomala participated in the Oliver Wilson Scholars (OWS) program, six weeks of living on campus, taking classes and learning to successfully transition from a high school to college student. The learning community is named for Oliver Wilson, former dean of the Office of Multicultural Affairs, who died in 2009. The program identifies and recruits students to campus during the summer, then provides them with academic, professional and social support.

"When I first got here, I thought Grand Valley was so big and there were so many people," said Tomala, from Redford. "I'm an introvert, so this program gives me an opportunity to find my people before the fall semester."

Jessica Jennrich, assistant vice president, Office of Student Support and Belonging, said OWS unveiled a new curriculum in the summer for students. In addition to reading comprehension and math classes, a one-credit course, "Navigating College Success," was added to aid students' transition.

Students will continue that class in the fall semester, Jennrich said. "In this class students will spend time on their personal and academic development, building academic and digital literacy, and developing the skills needed to be successful throughout their time at GVSU," she said.

OWS participants meet with success coaches, attend study tables and skill building workshops throughout the academic year.

B. Donta Truss, vice president for Enrollment Development and Educational Outreach, said he appreciates the dedication of the program's faculty and staff and enthusiasm of the students.

"The students gave up part of their summers so they could get a head-start on their first semester at Grand Valley," Truss said. "By providing a holistic support network of both academic and personal assistance, students will be able to build relationships and utilize the resources they need to be successful throughout their time at GVSU."

Categories

Across Campus

This article was last edited on August 19, 2024 at 12:10 p.m.

Related Articles

GVSU's oldest sport celebrates 60th anniversary

Three new boats were christened, celebrating a former coach and the success of the women's rowing teams.

Featured

September 17, 2024 (Volume 48, Number 2)
Article by Kyle Barnhart

Jewelry and metalsmithing students shining in roles at Tiffany

Alumnus and former student serve in apprenticeship and internship roles for the jewelry giant.

Article by Thomas Garrett

Flu vaccination clinics will run through October

Flu shots are covered for retirees, benefit-eligible faculty and staff members and their dependents.