- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science (B.A., B.S.)
Chemistry is a fascinating and diverse field that impacts almost every aspect of our lives including such areas as medicines, plastics, energy, and water quality. As a department, our goal is to provide rigorous preparation of citizens whose career paths require expertise in chemistry. Additionally, our faculty strive to contribute to a chemically literate society through teaching (with classrooms, labs, and research), scholarship, and service.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
The chemistry program is accredited by the Committee on Professional Training of the American Chemical Society. We offer B.S. degree programs in five different emphasis areas:
- Biochemistry and biotechnology
Visit www.gvsu.edu/catalog for current coursework information.
Graduates work in a variety of different fields, including:
- Environmental testing
Why Study Chemistry at Grand Valley?
- Faculty attention. Beyond the freshman year, our courses become smaller and more intimate. All upper-division courses are taught by Ph.D. chemists with specialized training and research expertise.
- Hands-on laboratories. Students gain extensive, firsthand experience preparing solutions, conducting experiments, and operating advanced research-quality instruments.
- Research experiences. Students have the opportunity to contribute to genuine scientific research on novel projects while receiving one-on-one mentoring from a faculty member.
- Academic flexibility. Our emphases provide a flexible learning experience for students.
- Professional development. Many of our students travel to professional meetings with their faculty mentors to present research findings and network with other researchers.
- Support. Endowments provide scholarships, grants, and fellowships for student tuition, travel, and research.
For More Information
Department of Chemistry
“Our students love chemistry and biology, but they also love seeing that their work may make a difference in people's lives.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University