- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science (B.A., B.S.)
Besides its utility, mathematics possesses an intrinsic beauty and power. It provides rare opportunities for creativity to anyone who seeks intellectual challenges. Almost all disciplines use the language and problem-solving techniques of mathematics. The use of computers and statistics in most disciplines has further increased the use and applications of mathematics.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
Grand Valley State University offers a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) and Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in mathematics, with emphases available in elementary and secondary education. Minors in mathematics are also available, including minors for elementary and secondary certification.
Students study a variety of topics, including:
- Linear algebra
- Probability and statistics
Students who are challenged by problems and enjoy working on solutions can enjoy exciting career opportunities in industry, business, and government as:
- Actuarial technicians
- Elementary or secondary school teachers
- Statistical analysts/programmers
- Financial engineers
- Software developers
Why Study Mathematics at Grand Valley?
- The department is focused on excellent teaching, in mathematics and mathematics education, including the development of strong communication and technology skills.
- The department hosts a Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program, sponsored by the National Science Foundation, which has won national awards. Many faculty members are involved in research with undergraduates.
- Each winter, the department organizes the Math-in-Action conference for mathematics teachers in the region, and our students.
- Faculty members have a wide variety of interests and backgrounds. Most have a Ph.D., are active in research, and participate in professional activities and associations. Several faculty members have published textbooks on topics in college mathematics or mathematics education.
For More Information
Department of Mathematics
“I have really fallen in love with Grand Valley since going here. Most aspects of the university fit me perfectly, and those which did not originally fit have shaped me for the better.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University