The public and nonprofit administration program at Grand Valley State University focuses on the management processes of public and nonprofit organizations that serve and improve our communities.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
Students of the public and nonprofit administration program learn how to serve the public interest ethically, effectively, and efficiently. They may choose to focus on:
- Budgeting and finance
- Community developmentand planning
- Community health
- Grant writing
The public and nonprofit administration curriculum gives students a broad understanding of the subject, while offering some specialized courses to provide them with technical skills. Some of the topics covered include:
- Civic engagement and service-learning
- Local politics and administration
- Organization theory and dynamics
- Public budgeting and finance administration
Due to its many community connections, Grand Valley can help students gain employment in public service careers in areas like:
- Local, state, and federal government agencies
- Nonprofit organizations
- Private sector firms
Why Study Nonprofit Administration at Grand Valley?
Students who are interested in nonprofit administration may have opportunities to utilize Grand Valley's unique nonprofit resources:
- Dorothy A. Johnson Center for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Leadership, which focuses on financial, technical, and administrative support on teaching, research, and service related to nonprofit activities.
- Community Research Institute, which provides quality research and critical data for community improvement.
- Grand Valley library's endowed Johnson Collection for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Leadership, which is one of the country's best collections of books, journals, and audiovisuals on the nonprofit sector.
- Students have opportunities to collaborate with faculty on ongoing research projects and other students will find or create research opportunities independently.
For More Information
School of Public, Nonprofit and Health Administration
“Grand Valley was very instrumental in helping me become who I am today. There are dynamic on-campus experiences available to anyone who chooses to take advantage of them and these experiences really helped me.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University