Occupational Safety and Health Management
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
Grand Valley State University offers a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in occupational safety and health management (OSHM). The degree provides students with the proper balance of safety management and scientific training required in the safety field.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
OSHM prepares students for entry level positions within safety and permits them to select their career emphasis based on the industry in which they wish to work. The following emphases are available:
- Safety - for students who want to work as safety specialists in the manufacturing, insurance, or service industry.
- Hygiene - for students who want to work as safety specialists in the chemical, petroleum, or pharmaceutical industry.
Students study a variety of topics that include:
- Critical incident analysis
- Environmental safety and safety regulations
- Ergonomic safety engineering
- Fire science
- Hazard control
- Health and safety techniques
- Industrial hygiene
Job opportunities exist in all occupational settings, including:
Why Study Occupational Safety and Health Management at Grand Valley?
- The degree is ranked as one of the top twenty undergraduate safety degrees in the nation.
- The B.S. in OSHM is one of the few programs approved by the Institute for Safety and Health Management, a professional certification body.
- Graduates can receive the Associate Safety and Health Management designation.
- Graduates are credited with two years of work experience and eligible for jobs seeking up to five years of work experience.
- The program involves students in real world projects coupled with salaried internships.
For More Information
College of Health Professions
Occupational Safety & Health Management Program
“The OSHM program has been a great learning experience for students, allowing them to go out in the field to visit different sites and actually observe workplace hazards and their solutions, and to work hands-on with different monitoring equipment. The connections I've made through the opportunities to attend multiple safety conferences and through my internship have also proved beneficial.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University