- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
The Department of Writing at Grand Valley State University offers instruction in academic, creative, and professional writing, disciplines that all belong to the liberal arts. Academic writing courses, which explore the art of writing well within specific disciplinary contexts, are designed for all students in the university community and include first-year composition and junior-level writing.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
Writing majors earn the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree and complete a 42-credit major. For writing majors, the department offers coursework in:
- Creative writing
- Professional writing
A degree in writing involves coursework in:
- Creative nonfiction
- Document design
- Professional and technical writing
- Web writing
Students are well-equipped to pursue graduate school, or to enjoy careers working for:
- Art institutions
- Educational institutions
- Large corporations
- Nonprofit agencies
- Small businesses
Why Study Writing at Grand Valley?
- Grand Valley's writing major involves liberal arts training in which students become critical readers, careful thinkers, and skilled writers.
- The Department of Writing offers one of the few concentrated undergraduate writing majors in the country.
- Our creative writing students take nearly twice as many workshop courses as they would if they choose creative writing as an emphasis in a major other than writing. Why? Because writing is the major--not a track or emphasis.
- Students who want to focus on professional or technical writing can do so in a program that exposes them to the latest technologies for print and web environments.
- The Department of Writing routinely sponsors creative writing students for The Association of Writers & Writing Programs (AWP) Intro Awards and works closely with students who produce a student literary journal called fishladder.
- Independent studies are common, and students graduate with advanced skills.
For More Information
Department of Writing
“When it comes to real skills that I use every day in my career as a promotions director in Las Vegas, writing courses like Document Design and Writing for the Web were great preparation for my professional career. It was an excellent program, and I am so glad I took those courses.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University