- Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
Exercise science is the study of acute physical activity and exercise, and the associated short and long-term physiological and biomechanical adaptions that the human body experiences.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in exercise science is consistent with American College of Sports Medicine standards and has emphasis areas in:
- Clinical exercise science
- Health fitness instruction
Coursework varies with emphasis selection but focuses on the following areas:
- Anatomy and physiology
- Exercise physiology
- Exercise testing
- Exercise prescription and programming
- Special populations
- Behavior modification
- Research methods
Career opportunities include positions in:
- Cardiac rehabilitation
- Community health and fitness
- Corporate wellness
- Higher education
- Fitness and wellness
- Performance enhancement
- Physical therapy
Why Study Exercise Science at Grand Valley?
- Student-oriented, teaching-focused program.
- Extensive high-impact experiences offered in diverse settings from local to international locations.
- Learning takes place using state-of-the-art equipment and instructional materials.
- Opportunities to engage in research and scholarly activities with GVSU faculty.
For More Information
Department of Movement Science
“The exercise science program has helped me grow professionally. Through quality instruction, I gained an understanding of the subject and have learned to apply my knowledge to situations I may encounter in the workforce.”
“My experiences with the faculty and professional staff within the movement science department have been truly phenomenal! They have provided unconditional encouragement, support, guidance, and motivation throughout my entire undergraduate career.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University