Speech-language pathologists are professionals educated to assess speech and language development, and treat speech and language disorders. Additionally, speech-language pathologists help people with swallowing disorders.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
The speech-language pathology graduate program, within the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, is a four-semester program for students who have completed the preprofessional requirements and a bachelor’s degree. Graduates of Grand Valley will be entry level Clinical Fellows.
A variety of topics will be studied, including:
- Voice and resonance
- Receptive and expressive language
- Cognitive and social aspects of communication
- Diverse clinical practicum
Speech-language pathologists are employed in a variety of settings, including:
- School systems
- Community clinics and private practices
- Mental health, rehabilitation, and residential facilities
- Government agencies and health departments
- Early intervention
- Hospitals, nursing centers, and home care
- Academic and research laboratories
Why Study Speech-Language Pathology at Grand Valley?
- Grand Valley is known for health sciences and is one of only two universities in Michigan offering all therapy programs.
- Located in the Medical Mile in downtown Grand Rapids at the Cook-DeVos Center for Health Sciences, SLP offers unique experiences, resources, and research opportunities.
- The program was awarded candidacy accreditation status from the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) of the American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA).
- Two cohorts a year offering small, intimate classes.
- Community-based practicum placements.
- Excellent job opportunities.
For More Information
Speech-Language Pathology Program
“Having been involved with the creation of the speech-language pathology program, I am thrilled to see it now offered. I expect nothing but the best from GVSU students as they enter the profession.”
View all Academic Programs offered by Grand Valley State University