Grand Valley State University offers a wide variety of merit-based scholarships. For information on all of the scholarships that are available to students, please visit Scholarships at GVSU.
Career Center Interneship Award
The GVSU Career Center is currently accepting applications for the Career Center Internship Award. This $500 scholarship is awarded to 10 students who are completing an unpaid, for-credit internship. The criteria and application link can be found at http://www.gvsu.edu/careers/career-center-internship-award-59.htm.
The deadline for the Fall 2014 semester is September 1, 2014.
For 2014, we have extended the deadline for the following Chemistry Scholarships to April 1!
Aaron M. Desrocher Memorial Chemistry Scholarship
This scholarship was created by the family and friends of Aaron DesRocher to honor and memorialize the enthusiasm for the physical sciences that he displayed as a chemistry major at GVSU. This scholarship is intended to help enthusiastic upper-level Chemistry Majors finish their educational journey with a minimum of debt. As a result, it is hoped that the world will gain from the critical thinking and creative problem solving carried out by enthusiastic young scientists who share the hopes and dreams enjoyed by Aaron.
- Candidates must be entering their Junior year at GVSU having more than 55 credits and two remaining years of course work required to complete a chemistry major. Transfer students may be candidates.
- Recipients must be enrolled as full-time GVSU chemistry majors.
- Candidates and recipients shall be making satisfactory academic progress according to the norms established by the University and the Chemistry Department.
Apply online at www.gvsu.edu/scholarships. A one-page essay and two letters of recommendation (preferably from GVSU faculty) will be required.
Application Deadline: March 1
Professor Charles Knop Chemistry Scholarship
The Professor Charles Knop Chemistry Scholarship was established to honor the career of Professor Charles Knop, a pioneer faculty member in the Chemistry Department who impacted the lives and careers of many faculty, staff, and students for over 30 years. The scholarship will reward an outstanding senior chemistry major. Preference will be given to Chemistry Education majors, though all chemistry majors are eligible and welcome to apply. The award extends over two semesters; to receive the second-semester award the recipient must maintain satisfactory academic progress. Applicants must demonstrate financial need through a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Apply online at www.gvsu.edu/scholarships. The application requires a 1-page essay describing career goals and plans related to education and/or outreach.
Application Deadline: March 1 preceding the applicant's senior year.
Mark A. Warren Memorial Scholarship
The Mark A. Warren Memorial Scholarship honors the life and memory of Mark Warren, a GVSU chemistry major who lost his life just before graduating in April 2013. Its purpose is "to not only honor Mark A. Warren's greatest attributes and accomplishments but to support future junior and senior chemistry students in completing their journey in education and establishing a career filled with meaning and purpose as well as a future filled with hope and happiness."
Recipients must be full-time GVSU chemistry majors in their junior or senior years who have cumulative GPAs of 3.4 or higher. Preference will be given to first generation students with financial need.
Apply online at www.gvsu.edu/scholarships.
Application Deadline: March 1
Thermo Scientific Pierce Scholarship Program
Thermo Fisher Scientific is offering our future science scholars an opportunity to win $10,000 in scholarship funding for the 2014-2015 fall semester. This scholarship was created to help provide educational opportunities for the future generation of scientists. A pre-selected committee will award two $10,000 scholarships and four $5,000 scholarships among the candidates.
- Candidate must be enrolled as a graduated or undergraduate student at an accredited college or university for the 2014-2015 fall semester
- Candidate must have a declared major of Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry or a related life science field
- Candidate must have a cumulative GPA of >3.0 on a 4.0 scale
Apply online at http://www.pierce-antibodies.com/PierceScholarship/
Application Deadline: August 1, 2014
The Priscilla Carney Jones Scholarship is a one-time award on the basis of both need and scholarship. The award amount is subject to available funding, but will be a minimum of $1,500.
- Rising junior or senior female undergraduate student
- Enrolled full-time at an accredited college or university
- Major in chemistry or chemistry-related science (Students in pre-med programs who intend to go to medical school are not eligible for this scholarship.)
- Completed research or plan to conduct research during undergraduate years
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.25
- US citizen or permanent resident
- Able to demonstrate evidence of financial need
Application Deadline: May 1, 2014
Page last modified August 29, 2014