Procedures for radioactive waste disposal must be included in the research protocols for review and approval by the Radiation Safety Committee. Specific rules, regulations, and guidelines must be followed for the disposal of radioactive waste. General procedures are provided below:
- Minimize quantities of waste and segregate non-radioactive waste from radioactive waste
- Waste must be stored in secure restricted access areas and containers must be clearly labeled with the appropriate warning sign.
- Segregate waste according to isotope, half-life, chemical form, physical form, or combinations thereof.
- All radioactive waste disposals must be entered on the inventory form.
- All off-site disposal of radioactive material will be coordinated through the RSO.
- Waste should be stored in suitable well-marked containers, and the containers should provide adequate shielding
For more information about waste that will decay in storage click here.
For guidelines for sewer disposal click here
For information on waste transfer click here
Page last modified May 19, 2011