Technology Commercialization is the transfer and marketing of knowledge and discoveries to the public.
Click on one of the links below to learn more or find answers frequently asked questions.
Introduction to Technology Commercialization
- What is Technology Commercialization?
- How is Technology Commercialized?
- What is the Bayh-Dole Act?
- How long does the Technology Commercialization process take?
- Why would a researcher want to participate in the Technology Commercialization process?
- How can I help in this process?
- What is GVSU Technology Commercialization?
- How do I work with the GVSU TCO?
- What are the typical steps in the process?
- What about consulting?
- May I use material or intellectual property from others in my research?
- Will I be able to share materials, research tools or intellectual property with others to further their research as part of a research collaboration?
- What rights does a research sponsor have to any discoveries associated with my research?
- Will I be able to publish the results of my research and still protect the commercial value of my intellectual property?
- What can I expect to learn from a meeting with the TCO during this stage of the process?
- What are the factors I should consider prior to filing an Invention Disclosure with the TCO?
- What is an Invention Disclosure?
- Why should I submit an Invention Disclosure?
- How do I know if my discovery is an invention?
- When should I complete an Invention Disclosure?
- Should I disclose research tools?
- How do I submit an Invention Disclosure?
- How does GVSU assess Invention Disclosures?
- If the inventors believe that the invention should be licensed non-exclusively to all potential users for the public good, will the university honor our request?
- How do we decide whether to commercialize with a traditional or an "open source" license for software?
- Is an invention ever assigned to an Inventor?
Marketing to Find or Firm a License
Form a Start-Up Venture
Navigating Conflict of Interest
Page last modified March 13, 2014